I love suya. I mean you have to love it if you’re a Nigerian. Going to the suya spot is really a stable for most people living in Nigeria. There are even several suya spots around the world. But the truth is, not everyone lives near a suya spot. And for those of you who want to eat suya, I have the perfect recipe for you.
What you will need
- 2 pounds of meat
- 1 cup of ground nuts
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 teaspoons of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 maggi cubes
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Suya pepper (optional)
- Onions (optional)
- Cabbage (optional)
- Potato (optional)
You will also need a grill or an oven to prepare the meat. Make sure you have a suya stick too because you want to make sure you have something to hold the meat with. For the measurement for the spices, just use as much as you’d like. It’s best to have a test set so that you know the best measurements for yourself.
- If you’re using the oven, put the heat on the lowest. And with the grill put some charcoal in it and put it on the fire
- Slice the meat thinly. Make sure you cut it along the grain to get the kind of suya you would find in a suya spot
- Ground the nuts and mix it with pepper, ginger, salt and maggi for the spice
- Coat the meat in the spice.
- After you’ve done that, put a stick through the meat so that you can easily grab the meat.
- Cook the meat using the grill or the oven. Make sure you spray oil on it on every side. If you’re using a BBQ grill, make sure you turn the meat every 5 minutes until it’s done. If you’re using an oven, open it in 5 minutes to turn it over and then close it back.
- Serve it an add in any other sides you’d like
Now your suya is ready! Get it out and start eating. You can eat it alone or eat it with what you like the most. As an extra, you can also add in suya pepper and put the meat inside as you’re eating it. Also, you can add in onions, cabbage and tomatoes if you’d like them. Let me know if you liked the suya by commenting below.